Friday, November 9, 2012

The Big Reveal

Once again, I find myself apologizing for the gap in posting. After a year spent mostly on the road, I'm finally at home and am starting to get caught up. I just can't tell you how wonderful it is to wake up in my own bed every morning, with my dogs breathing their horrid doggy breath in my face, knowing that it's going to be this way for a while. Hooray!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...The Big Craftsy Reveal!


After months of prep work, which included working with Alycia Carmin at Alycia Quilts, the wonderful Bruce and Diane Magidson of Sew Batik fabrics, and the great Craftsy peeps on a beautiful Quilts of Valor Mystery Quiltalong it was finally time to start filming. Handi Quilter graciously allowed us to film at their facility in beautiful Salt Lake City (if you've never visited that city, you should. Talk about a nice place to visit!) and provided us with a top of the line new machine for use during filming, enough food to keep us going for weeks, and the friendliest staff I've ever worked with. I just love Handi Quilter. They hire the nicest people ever.

Craftsy sent out a fantastic crew, who impressed the living daylights out of me every step of the way. There was Tonya, who kept us all focused and on track, James, who kept us all smiling and never once lost his cheerful grin (and has the ability to imitate numerous Oscar winning actors at the drop of a hat) and Nicole, the quiet genius who sat behind her computer directing us flawlessly and never losing track of where we were and where we were going.


The team arrived with cases and trunks galore, and immediately started unpacking and setting up, while I stood there with my mouth hanging open. It was absolutely astonishing to see how much expensive equipment they had shoved into those trunks! There were two cameras; a stationary master camera manned by Tonya and a moveable camera on a boom which was manned by James. There were big lights, little lights, and spotlights. There were microphones that hung from booms, microphones attached to cameras, and microphones attached to me. There were cables and cords and computers and monitors. There were washtubs full of water bottles, boxes of munchies, and a whole lot of chocolate. Which, of course, we needed in order to keep us from perishing. Film crews, it turns out, need almost as much chocolate as quilters do. Who knew?


This is what the set looked like through TOnya's master camera. On her various little monitors, she could see the set, her camera's view of the set, and James' camera's view. Very cool.


I knew that the only way I'd ever stay organized enough to shoot almost a dozen different episodes over the course of just a couple of days was if I made little kits containing every single thing I needed for each episode, along with a master list of which items in each episode kit was to be moved to a different episode kit when each episode was finished. Did that make sense the way I said it? Here is a shot of some of my kits lined up in the order they were to be used. (no, we did not shoot chronologically, which complicated things even further)


After being worked on for an hour by the makeup artist and spackled, scrubbed, powdered and primped, I was ready to step in front of the camera for the first episode. Take a deep breath, calm your nerves, try to remember your lines, and let's do this!



Filming took the better part of three very long days and, though tiring, was a total blast. Everyone was super professional and there to do the job and do it right which made it a joy for me. I LOVE working with people who share my work ethic! We all worked our tails off all day long, stayed on task, and when it was done, we all had smiles from ear to ear. What a great team!

Because I was waiting for my class to launch, I have only shared glimpses of what the final QOV quilt looks like. Are you ready to see a shot of the quilting? Here you go! Reminder; the quilt still needs to have the last row of quilting finished and needs to have piping and binding added. When this is done, I will take a better photo of it and post it so you can see how it looks with a shot of bright red piping, but in the meantime, here's the quilt as it looks so far.


And here is a close up


If you want to learn how to do these designs, here's a link to my Craftsy class. Click here to go directly to the class page at Craftsy.














12 comments:

  1. Already purchased and started watching the class. I want to be just like Kimmy when I grow up. :)
    I learn so much from your teaching efforts and I thank you. I know how hard it is to travel and be away from your family and petsso please thank them for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy,
    At last the reveal of the whole quilt! I've already done the entire Craftsy class! You sent me all your templates, DVD's & books just prior to you going to Houston. I've been diligently working on an Irish Chain quilt that, I hope, will come out as fantastic as I've envisioned! I've got my QOV pieced & it's next on the frame. Thanks for doing this class for us & taking the time away from your family to do it! I know all about being away from family as the last 20 years were spent driving an 18 wheeler feeding this country. Now I can stay home & enjoy playing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to stay home and play? I have so many projects stacked up and waiting that my head spins trying to figure out which project should come first. Wheeeee!

      Delete
  3. Hooray! I've been waiting for this day! Off to go purchase my class. I am also really glad you had such a wonderful experience. Hope you get a well-deserved break, and a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ma'am! And the same to you. I'll be here, knee deep in fabic and happier than a kid in a candy store. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kimmy, I've already been watching and trying out some techniques on my current project! Your an excellent teacher, thanks so much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, for the lovely compliment. Happy Quilting to you!

      Delete
  5. It's an awesome class and one I highly recommend! I'm only halfway through but my head is just spinning w/all the new quilting design ideas and tips I've picked up so far. Can hardly wait to put these into use. I'm currently working on a Hurricane Sandy quilt and already I can see new and unique quilting design possibilities I can incorporate into this quilt that I picked up at your Templates class...Thanks!
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember to share photos of your projects on the Craftsy class page! Everyone loves to see what other students are doing, so don't be shy :)

      Delete
  6. Kimmy, is this Craftsy class replacing the templates DVD you were planning? I love your beginners' DVD, and plan to get the class on Craftsy once my internet connection gets upgraded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue, this is it. I'm already working on ideas for a more advanced templates class, but am unsure about whether the class will be on Craftsy or on DVD. I'm kind of leaning toward DVD. What are your thoughts?

      Delete