Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Scattered

One of the surest signs of the impending spring show season is when I start taking over the entire kitchen with 56 projects in various stages of completion. Once this starts, my poor family knows that they will not be able to eat dinner at the table again until late May. However, since I am by nature a caring and sensitive person, I do make sure that I leave at least one third of the island countertop available for their use so that they can sit huddled over their plates. See? I'm nice like that.


This particular mess is all the fault of Sherry Rogers-Harrison, who has gotten me totally hooked on her PaintFusion technique. She showed me how to combine these really cool LuminArte dry pigment paints with her PaintFusion textile medium to create a whole new world of color on my quilts.


Sherry uses this technique to transform a plain white piece of fabric into a painted wholecloth, but I'm experimenting with how to use it to subtly alter the colors in a pieced quilt. Because I love the piecing process and don't want to give up that element of quiltmaking, I've chosen to use the paints to enhance my printed fabrics and create added dimension in my work. I'll show you what I mean.

Here's a pic of The Last Shadow before painting


Here's what it looks like with a little bit of paint. Please note; I have a lot of painting left to do. So far, only the center is painted, but you can see how the addition of the paint adds a whole new look to the quilt.


When it's all done, I will apply a turquoise binding with bright orange piping. You'll be able to see this quilt in person at MQS in the special Teacher of the Year exhibit. And, of course, it's one of the quilts featured in my upcoming Bordering on Lunacy DVD which will, I promise, be finished someday. If I'm ever home long enough to finish it.

In other breaking news, the HMQS auction quilt has gone from this


to this


I am zipping right along. Lo, the wonders of a caffeinated lifestyle.







2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    I am so excited! I have your Twisted Feathers book - I think that's what it's called. I have watched the DVD twice and practiced on paper. Last night, I decided to give it a try on my granddaughter's quilt! It has the perfect places for those c curl feathers! I am sooooo happy how they turned out! Your book and your instruction on the DVD is exceptional! I love it! Thank you!

    LynnEl in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    Can't wait to own your new DVD! Impatiently waiting.......
    I do pretty good with my quilting, but I always pick up several more tips from you.
    Thank you for providing such wonderful down-to-earth instruction.
    Amy
    Dayton, OH

    ReplyDelete