Saturday, January 21, 2012

Stumped.

Wow, it's been a long time since Ive posted! Sorry about that. Houston was the last show in a very long string of shows for me and when I came home I just sort of collapsed into an exhausted puddle. Then came the holidays and you know what happens to people when it's the holidays. I feel like such a Scrooge for saying this but, somewhere along the way, Christmas sure did turn into an awful lot of work. What's up with that?

Anyway.

I'm back to quilting like a madwoman. I'm currently working on the second of two quilts that will be featured in my upcoming DVD 'Bordering On Lunacy For Beginners' which will, as the title would suggest, cover the subject of borders for beginners. The first quilt for this DVD was my Avatar-inspired quilt 'The Last Shadow' and this new quilt will complete the lineup.

If it ever gets finished, that is.

In two weeks, I'll be flying out to Salt Lake City to do my filming for Season 3 of Quilt It! and I was really hoping to be able to bring this quilt along to use as my backdrop. However, I have run into a big problem. I'm stumped. The border design which looked so perfect in my head is not turning out well at all. Sometimes that happens; designs that appear to be perfect inside the confines of your imagination have an ugly way of turning all crispy and shrively when exposed to things like air and light and seam allowances, but usually I'm able to bulldoze my way through those issues. This time, though, I'm hitting a wall. For the past four days, I've been doing nothing but drawing, drawing, drawing to try to get things to work out but I am just not feelin' the love.



This is just way too much curved crosshatching. I'm telling you, I have redrawn that stupid corner 6 times and it is not working. When will I ever learn that if I redraw the same thing more than a couple of times and it still isn't working that maybe it's time to give up and try a new design??? I tell this to my students all of the time but apparently I am not so good with that whole practice what I preach concept.

I'm going to brew another cup of coffee and sit down to redraw. Again. And this time, I'm going to put feathers in the curving diamond shapes instead of curved crosshatching. I'd hoped to avoid using feathers on this quilt lest people begin to think that's all I know how to do, but really, the quilt is screaming for feathers and it's high time I start listening to the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment