Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quilting Order

On Saturday, I'll be zipping out to Salt Lake City to film my episode for Season Three of Quilt It! and I really want to bring this quilt with me. I'd hoped to have it finished in time but, typical me, I've gotten waaay too carried away with the quilting and there's no way it's going to be done. My episode is going to be on template use and this quilt is all about templates, so it would have been a nice quilt to hang in the background. However, I've decided to turn lemons into lemonade and will simply use it as an example instead which, now that I think about it, is a much better idea since it will allow me to really get the cameras in close so that the viewers can see what I'm talking about.

I've gotten many questions on Facebook about the stitching order for this design and really, it couldn't be easier. let me give you a little tutorial:

Step one was accomplished with a large circle template, which I cut in half because it was just too dang big to be convenient. I stitched around this template to make the basic half-circle design. Then I used a melon template to echo that line and allow me to stitch out a second line that was 1/4 inch from the first.


After stitching out the first two lines, I did the same thing, only upside down, which gave me a classic Egg and Dart design.



This created the 'bones' of my design.

Now it's time to fill it in with a combination offreehand feathers and curved crosshatching which, in this case, is being accomplished with a small circle template and a small melon template.


I still need to figure out how to fill in the spaces behing these motifs (I'm thinking piano keys) and also need to fill the backgrounds of the blocks.



Maybe more curved crosshatching? And a whole bunch of secondary 'ghost' petals to enhance the dahlia effect?

Clearly, I need more coffee to get me going.

Happy Quilting!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial--you've given me a new way to think about my quilting! And, am a huge proponent of "more coffee!" Have a wonderful time in Salt Lake City!

    ReplyDelete