Saturday, August 27, 2011

My Excellent Adventure At Linda Taylor's House

Sorry for all of the peace and quiet around here this week, but I got home from my trip and was immediately attacked by life. After spending the past few weeks frantically prepping for filming and ignoring everything else, I had a little catching up to do. I can now see the floor that was previously hidden under Mount Laundry Pile, there is food in the fridge, and the house is (sort of) clean again. Yay.

Last Sunday, I flew into Jackson Hole WY and was picked up by two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, Carole and John Smith. Longtime residents of Jackson (Carole's been there her whole life and John's been there since he was a teen) they were in town for a historical society fundraiser and volunteered to pick me up while they were there. They took me out for a drive, showed me around town, and invited me to attend the fundraiser with them. What a treat! Excellent food, a great bluegrass band, a very cool display featuring three of the birds from the Tetons Raptor Center and excellent and interesting company, all in the gorgeous setting provided by one of Jackson Hole's historical farm sites. Oh, yeah. Surrounded by the Tetons. Let's not forget that part. I thought my eyes were going to pop right out of my head from looking at so much beauty.






After we were done gorging ourselves on BBQ, stories of Jackson's early days, and great scenery we headed to Linda's, which is a little way out of town. The drive is incredible. Buffalo wandering around singly and in herds, antelope all over the place, lovely green valleys with rushing rivers, and mountains still topped with snow. Will someone please remind me why I live in Farmington?

Linda's got a great place. She and Rick built it themselves and you can tell that they paid attention to every single detail. Her kitchen is to die for. She's got the best looking granite countertops I've ever seen. Just standing in that kitchen makes you want to start baking something immediately. Making Christmas cookies in that kitchen would be the Best Thing Ever, and I'm not even that much of a baker!

The views from the house are just incredible. If I lived in that house, the only time I'd ever get anything done is when it's too dark to see. And even then I wouldn't get much done, because when it's dark you can go stand on the deck, look up and see a million stars twinkling in a black velvet sky. What a great house and what a great setting.







Shooting my episodes was a snap. Linda, Rick and Todd are so totally on top of the whole filming thing. They get everything set up for you, taking care of every last little detail, and spend the whole day making sure you look good. We shot four episodes and an interview, all of which will be available for viewing on Season 4 of Linda's Longarm Quilting Show on her web site TheQuiltingSchool.com There will be more than 50 new episodes this season and I'm not sure yet when mine will air, as they are all in the editing process. She's got some really great guests, including the amazing Sue McCarty, Judy Woodworth, Sue Patten and more. The 'big guns' of quilting are really coming out of the woodwork for this season!









The highlight of my visit was an after-dinner ride in Linda's RZR. We followed a track up the mountain, four wheeled through meadows, had a deer jump across the track right in front of us, whizzed down roads past grazing horses, and generally had a great time. At the end of our adventure, I had to get out and take a pic, because I knew nobody would believe me when I said I went four wheeling up a mountainside with Linda V Taylor.



On Tuesday morning, Carole and John picked me up for the return trip to the airport. The trip back was even more beautiful than the trip from the airport, with a clear blue sky and miles of visibility. I was very sad to be leaving such a lovely place and such lovely friends. Linda Taylor is an extraordinarily nice woman who lives in a place that fits her to a T and I feel greatly honored to have been able to spend time with her away from the hustle and bustle of quilt shows.

As I walked out the door of her house, she gave me one of the nicest compliments I have ever received in my entire life; "If you lived closer, I think we'd be best friends." Linda, I sure do wish I lived closer.

PS My outgoing flight was delayed by 45 minutes and, tragically enough, I was forced to sit and look at this while waiting. Poor, poor me.


5 comments:

  1. I've been lucky enough to be in that area for a bit of motorcycling ... it is inspiring, stunning, amazing. Now you've got a good excuse to go back - you must have forgotten something at Carole & John's house??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granite is the ideal material for kitchen countertops or any other countertops, for the reason that of its hardness and durable nature. It really is 1 of one of the most sought immediately after material that combines its natural beauty along with durability to give a stunning look to your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we should move to there! Wow - how pretty. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you lucky girl! Thanks for sharing, even tho I'm sooooooooo jealous. Looking fwd to seeing the videos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me homesick to see the Tetons! Glad you enjoyed the area. I don't live there now (lived on the Idaho side and hiked the Tetons as a kid), but I love hearing when other people appreciate the beauty of the area!

    ReplyDelete