Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Acupuncture Up Close

A reader asked if I'd post a detail shot showing how I pin a curved block. No problem! Here ya go :)

As you can see, I pack those pins in there pretty tightly but, as I said in yesterday's post, if you want super smooth curves you just can't beat pinning. I first divide my curve into quarters (or eighths, depending on the size of the block) and mark the quarters with pins. I then match my centers and pin them together, then match the beginning and end of the stitching line and pin, then match the quarters and pin. Next, I carefully match the sections in between the pins together, making sure the edges of my fabric are aligned, and pin. Yes, I know, it's a lot of pins but the results are worth it.

When stitching, I do not remove the pins as I go but instead I leave them in place as I feel that it gives the fabric more stability and prevents any shifting of the layers. I stitch slowly and try not to crash and I make sure that the pins I use have round heads so they'll roll out of the way when the needle gets close. I do not *ever* use flat head pins when doing this, as they won't roll and will make it more likely that I'll whack a pin with my needle.

Let me know if you have more questions!

2 comments:

  1. Me Me - I have a question.... should the quilt live at my house when you are done????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy, I've been sewing for over 50 years, and it never has dawned on me that the round head would help the pin roll out of the way when stitching over it! Well, DUH! You've taught this old dog another new trick! BTW...I absolutely love your DVDs and classes (MQS). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete